Deadline: April 14, 2023
Calling all Hospitality and Culinary Management Students
We’re looking to add a production cook to our Kitchen Operations teams for the summer co-op term. As a production cook who will be responsible for maintaining and setting up the kitchen, batch-cooking recipes, and controlling the quality of all food products prepared at different kitchen stations. In this role, you will ensure that all food prepared meets the highest quality standards, the first batch is identical to the last, and our production stays on schedule. As a part of our Kitchen Operations team, you will play a key role in delivering a consistently outstanding product to our customers while rapidly scaling a new business
- Maintain and set up equipment, execute recipes in large batches, and ensure the highest quality of all food products prepared at different kitchen stations.
- Prepare raw ingredients, including brining and marinating of various proteins.
- Prepare recipe components using grills, braisers, ovens, mixers, blenders, and other industrial kitchen equipment.
- Work across all areas of the production facility, including refrigerated areas, and perform tasks ranging from receiving, cooking, assembly of recipes, and packing customer orders.
- Ensure the kitchen operates with the highest health and safety standards and is in alignment with federal and provincial health and safety requirements.
- Work in compliance with OH&S acts and regulations.
- Use personal protective and safety equipment and clothing as directed by the employer and report workplace hazards and dangers to the supervisor or employer.
- Other duties as assigned
You may be fit for this role if you have:
- Thorough knowledge of sanitation and food safety standards, valid food safety certificate
- Strong communication skills: you listen actively, relay information in a clear and structured manner, and speak to team members with tact and diplomacy
- You take direction and feedback well, and are focused on getting to the best possible outcome
- High attention to detail and a customer-centric mindset
- Comfortable with being exposed to hot, cool and/or cold environments (0-30ºC)
- Ability to stand and to work continuously in indoor spaces
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry up to 50lbs, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience and knowledge of African cuisine or openness to learn about it.
- You have a mind for details and are comfortable with email, and google quite (docs and spreadsheet)
- You have well-honed strategies for never missing a deadline or overlooking a key detail, and are comfortable juggling multiple priorities at once
- You do whatever it takes to get the job done and enjoy being in the trenches
- You’re comfortable working under tight, immovable deadlines and making key decisions under pressure
- You take ownership of your work and should think beyond the scope of a given assignment
- You’re innovative, extremely creative and constantly looking for ways to improve upon things
Why you’ll love it here:
- $18/hr salary
- 20% discount on Binchi products
- We trust and support you – take ownership of your work and push your ideas from inception to execution
- We want to see you grow – we support your career progression and provide learning and development opportunities
- We take our work seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. You’ll work with fun, energetic, and supportive teams.
Working at Eat Binchi
🤗 Welcome to our kitchen table!
- We act in service of our mission: As a team, we try to accomplish something that none of us could have done on our own. We act as a unit, putting the company’s goals ahead of any particular team or individual goals.
- Our default is to trust: We assume positive intent amongst our teammates and assume ignorance over malice. We have each other’s backs.
- Our first instinct is to act: Our passion for our core purpose gives us the courage to reach beyond our comfort zone. We view honest failure as a learning opportunity for the future.
- We enjoy the journey: We make sure our team feels appreciated and valued. We take the time to stop and acknowledge where we came from so that we don’t miss how impressive the climb is.
- We focus on what unites us: We help create a sense of cohesion and unity, by celebrating and embracing our diversity, and finding ways for everyone to belong. We invest in each other and we win and learn as a team
- We raise the bar: We make a concerted effort to raise the bar on talent and performance, including changing out team members when needed.
How to reach us
Eat Binchi redefines the way you think about African meals by lifting the burden and hassle of sourcing the right ingredients for meal prep. Africans in the diaspora can easily reconnect to their roots through the Binchi box. Our meal plans offer exciting recipes and lovingly sourced, fresh ingredients have blossomed into a community of encouraged, energized home cooks with a love and passion for African food across Canada, and one day across the globe.
Please email us your resume if you’re interested in joining our team.